Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)
Yuba Environmental Science Charter Academy
Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for School Computer Systems
Information for Students and Parents
The Yuba Environmental Science Charter Academy (“YES Charter Academy”) Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) is to prevent unauthorized access and other unlawful activities by users online, prevent unauthorized disclosure of or access to sensitive information, and to comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (“CIPA”). As used in this policy, “user” includes anyone using the computers, Internet, email, chat rooms and other forms of direct electronic communications or equipment provided by YES Charter Academy (the “network”). Only current students or employees are authorized to use the network.
YES Charter Academy will use technology protection measures to block or filter, to the extent practicable, access of visual depictions that are obscene, pornographic, and harmful to minors over the network. YES Charter Academy reserves the right to monitor users’ online activities and to access, review, copy, and store or delete any electronic communication or files and disclose them to others as it deems necessary. Users should have no expectation of privacy regarding their use of YES Charter Academy property, network, and/or Internet access or files, including email.
Acceptable Uses of the YES Charter Academy Computer Network or the Internet:
Every year YES must verify students using the computer network and Internet access for that school year have a signed page acknowledging this policy. Students who are under 18 must have their parents or guardians sign this page and schools must keep it on file. Once signed that permission/acknowledgement page remains in effect until revoked by the parent, or the student loses the privilege of using the YES Charter Academy network due to violation of this policy or is no longer a YES Charter Academy student. Employees and other users are required to follow this policy. Even without a signature, all users must follow this policy and report any misuse of the network or Internet to a teacher, supervisor, or other appropriate YES Charter Academy personnel. Access is provided primarily for education and YES Charter Academy business. By using the network, users have agreed to this policy. If a user is uncertain about whether a particular use is acceptable or appropriate, he or she should consult a teacher, supervisor or other appropriate YES Charter Academy personnel.
Unacceptable Uses of the Computer Network or Internet:
These are examples of inappropriate activity on the YES Charter Academy network:
- Violating any state or federal law or municipal ordinance, such as: Accessing or transmitting pornography of any kind, obscene depictions, harmful materials, materials that encourage others to violate the law, confidential information, or copyrighted materials;
- Criminal activities that can be punished under law;
- Selling or purchasing illegal items or substances;
- Spamming; spreading viruses;
- Causing harm to others or damage to their property, such as:
- Using profane, abusive, or impolite language; threatening, harassing, or making damaging or false statements about others, or accessing, transmitting, or downloading offensive, harassing, or disparaging materials;
- Deleting, copying, modifying, or forging other users’ names, emails, files, or data; disguising one’s identity, impersonating other users, or sending email anonymously;
- Damaging computer equipment, files, data, or the network in any way, including intentionally accessing, transmitting or downloading computer viruses or other harmful files or programs, or disrupting any computer system performance;
- Using any YES Charter Academy computer to pursue “hacking,” internal or external to YES CHARTER ACADEMY, or attempting to access information protected by privacy laws; or
- Accessing, transmitting, or downloading large files, including copyrighted media, chain letters or any type of pyramid schemes.
- Engaging in uses that jeopardize access or lead to unauthorized access into others’ accounts or other computer networks, such as:
- Using another’s account password(s) or identifier(s);
- Interfering with other users’ ability to access their account(s); or
- Disclosing anyone’s password to others or allowing them to use another’s account(s)
- Using the network or Internet for commercial purposes:
- Using the Internet for personal financial gain;
- Using the Internet for personal advertising, promotion, or financial gain; or
- Conducting for-profit business activities and/or engaging in non-government related fundraising or public relations activities such as solicitation for religious purposes or lobbying for personal political purposes.
YES Charter Academy reserves the right to take immediate action regarding activities that (1) create security and/or safety issues for YES Charter Academy students, employees, schools, network, or computer resources, or (2) that expend YES Charter Academy resources on content YES Charter Academy in its sole discretion determines lacks legitimate educational content/purpose, or (3) other activities as determined by YES Charter Academy as inappropriate.
Student Internet Safety
- Students under the age of eighteen should only access YES Charter Academy accounts outside of school if a parent or legal guardian supervises their usage at all times. The student’s parent or guardian is responsible for monitoring the minor’s use;
- Students shall not reveal on the Internet personal information about themselves or other persons. For example, students should not reveal their name, home address, telephone number, or display photographs of themselves or others;
- Students shall not meet in person anyone they have met only on the Internet; and
- Students must abide by all laws, this Acceptable Use Policy and all YES Charter Academy security policies.
Penalties for Improper Use
The use of a YES Charter Academy account is a privilege, not a right, and misuse will result in the restriction or cancellation of the account. Misuse may also lead to disciplinary and/or legal action for both students and employees, including suspension, expulsion, dismissal from YES Charter Academy employment, or criminal prosecution by government authorities. YES Charter Academy will attempt to tailor any disciplinary action to the specific issues related to each violation.
YES Charter Academy makes no guarantees about the quality of the services provided and is not responsible for any claims, losses, damages, costs, or other obligations arising from use of the network or accounts. Any additional charges a user accrues due to the use of the YES Charter Academy network are to be borne by the user. YES Charter Academy also denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of the information obtained through user access. Any statement, accessible on the computer network or the Internet, is understood to be the author’s individual point of view and not that of YES Charter Academy, its affiliates, or employees.